Saturday 29 June 2013

Another Henry post...

I apologize. I looked around, and I was going to write about something else, I swear I was, but then an article caught my eye... It proclaimed, loudly, that one of England's most famous leaders was a psychopath, and I knew that Winston Churchill would have been counted in that list. Now, as anyone in my history class would know, I have a little bit of a soft spot for good old Winston, and I don't think I could cope with finding out that both of the intelligent men I love are off their rockers (my Grandad being the second one, and I promise you, his insanity was never doubted.). It was with relief that when I clicked on the article (that I can't find at the moment), I saw a massive photo of a massive king: yup, good old Henry. The bloke who's name I can't hear without bursting into an ear-splitting rendition of  'I'm Henery The Eighth I Am'.
 So, Henry was pretty mental, the experts have decided. Big surprise. I think not. Let's see... 6 wives, 2 divorced, 2 beheaded, a real hatred for heretics, quite an impressive amount of deaths to his name... Well, I can truly say I am surprised by the experts conclusion. If i'm honest, i'm not sure that a test is truly necessary to prove that Henry was a few sandwiches short of a picnic, but then I learn that it's the same test that classified Hitler as insane. I'm sure the producers must be proud of this really ground-breaking research.
 Interestingly, looking at the list, it looks as though some of the most memorable and 'successful' (in some respects)  leaders were insane, or scored very high on the 'insanity scale'. In fact, a lot of them comply with almost Machiavellian ideas of what makes a good leader, making me wonder if maybe he had the right general idea. However, the ruthlessness needed to gain power, doesn't bode well for citizens of that leader.
 Henry may have scored high on many of the categories needed to become categorized as insane, but lets not forget that before he became leader he was honestly and truly loved by many of the people, just like Hitler. 'My' Churchill, however, raised some eyebrows in rising to power, but undeniably delivered.
 So there we are. Short, sweet, unfocused. A teachers worst nightmare. But hey, i'm tired, have been looking at the news, and have just started reading 'the Prince'. A lethal combination. Put that with me having spoken to the famous grandparents today, and you're all set for a weird post.
 Thanks for reading this post for this long!
E.C

No comments:

Post a Comment