Monday 22 March 2010

Healthcare passed!



Is this the end of the healthcare saga? It looks like it. A 219-212 vote in last night's House followed by a likely 51 vote majority in the Senate and a certain signing by the President means that after over a year of wrangling the USA has finally enacted extended healthcare insurance for its citizens - approximately 32 million people. However, that is not the end of the story entirely as there will be court challenges and the Republicans will want to keep the issue in the public eye until the mid-term elections this November. See here for Mark Mardell from the BBC's comments and here for the story from Channel 4.

6 comments:

  1. Finding out the result of this vote was the first thing I did this morning, and it made my day. Worth of a celebratory politics lesson tomorrow, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WELL DONE GUYS

    ABOUT TIME

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw two people had commented. I knew Alys was one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous said...
    I saw two people had commented. I knew Alys was one.

    is that necessary....?

    but yes it is definitely about time it was passed :) GO OBAMA

    ReplyDelete
  5. probably because I announced that I had commented in our politics lesson....

    ReplyDelete
  6. takes a genius to work that one out then :P

    ReplyDelete